Ok, ok!! Now I know why parents get so worked up when their kids go to kindergarten. I have always picked on my friends that go through this mourning period when their children start school. I have always thought that it should be more of a celebration in newly found freedom.
NOW I know why.... It is like you are releasing them to be their own person. AND hope you have done enough to prepare them for the world. For me, it's a little different since this is the first time and I don't have a previous relationship with my "kid". Our relationship has been short. But has it been impactful? The bond is growing. I have really come to enjoy the developing relationship between Rick and I and our student Alex. (I feel weirded out by calling him my "son". I think that should be the honor of the mother that actually gave birth but that's just my weird thing).
I went through a whole gamet of emotions.
Worry - What if the other kids are mean to him? What if he gets lost? What if he doesn't understand something?
Excitement - Will he makes new friends? Will he like his classes? Will he get into his locker?
Anxiousness - What if we are not cool and he hates us now?
Panic - Oh god!! Homework again!
Yesterday I was on pins and needles waiting until I could get an update on the "first day". The verdict: Alex likes it!! Yeah!
He said that there was boys that looked 12 years old and boys that looked like they were 21 years old. He likes changing classes every hour. His English teacher will be rough. A little scary since this is his feared class too. He's got cute girls in his PE aka "Athletic Conditioning" class. He loves his World History teacher so far. "She is crazy. She likes Monster. (the energy drink)". And he super excited about his Physics class.
Off to a good start so far. Let's hope the momentum continues. No teenager moments yet. I'm waiting though. Let's hope they are painless. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Cute! Makes me want a "kid." Can't wait to meet him!
Post a Comment