Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The First Step In My Master Plan

For two years, Rick and I have debated - trees or fence, fence or trees. Our hedgerow has grown completely out of control and I'm tired of trimming the mess without the reward of a well-trimmed hedge. It's more like a well-trimmed mess. So again, the debate ensued. On the quest for a few herbs my favorite nursery didn't have in, I stumbled across the deal of a lifetime at Lucas Nursery. When Rick got back in town, I told him the good news. After checking it out himself, he agreed. Trees it is!! We decided that the goal would be the first weekend in June for install. We spent the weekend before cutting down the existing treeline. After getting out what we could, we asked Geoff to come over and dig up the tree trunks. Yep, our headgerow had full-sized scrub trees in it. Digging them out by the roots was the only way to stop future growth. We attempted it ourselves with Rick's truck. However, we weren't willing to risk the damage to his 12 year Ford or deal with the exucriating labor involved. It took Geoff a total of 2 hours to dig everything up. Saturday, June 6th, we got up at 10am and started the installation of the 43 Arborvitae trees. Believe it or not, we were done by 7pm that day with one tree leftover.

1 comment:

Lady Lisa said...

I have to say, while this does look lovely, I'm sad I'm seeing it now! I've been so looking forward to coming over and checking out the new treeline in person. I suppose it will still be different up close though. :-) And Congrats on a hard job well done!