Can you say busy? This time of year it seems like the days tick back as fast as the hours do during the non-holilday time of year. Friday I can't even remember....it's too long ago. Saturday, Rick went hunting, I worked out then we met up to get our Christmas tree. SweetPea looked adorable is her pink ski jacket. It has a pocket that is the perfect size to carry her leash and a poop bag.
We got a nice Canaan tree and huge wreath for the front of our house...all for less than $100. Yes, I know it's absurd to throw money down the drain each year for a real tree. I mean, what are we doing to the environment? How does this impact our carbon footprint? But it's tradition!! Rick and I searched for a new tree place since the place we have gone to for 5 years had slim pickins the last year we were there. I miss him though, he looked like Christmas. Big burly guy with rose cheeks in his Carhart overalls and a wonderful Scottish accent. He would always give us a tree ornament that was made for the tree stumps and designs burned into it. Sadly, last year we tried a new place and it just wasn't the same. This year, we were referred to Arend's Tree Farm in Brooklyn. We like them!! Very friendly staff with a well thought out lot. The concern I had is on one hill our truck started to slide backwards in 4 wheel drive because of the ice. Scary!! However, they knocked down the already ridiculous price on the biggest wreath I had seen from $60. (already reasonable) to the change we had ($41.) from getting our tree. We got a very full tree for $50. +plus. We've paid worse for sure. Next year we already committed to going there since they gave us such a good deal on the wreath. My only regret...no one plays Christmas music anymore. Come on...it's Christmas!! If there is some atheist out there that doesn't like it, they should stick it, it's not their birthday or the best time of year. I could go on and on, but that is for another blog.
Anyways, on our way back from the lot Rick had to drop me off at Hidden Lake Gardens for my volunteer function....The Winter Fest. I spent all day manning the reception center. Not once did I sample the goods but it' simply because Mel, my fun loving Master Gardener friend and her husband, Terry were accompany Rick and I to El Chapulin Grasshopper Mexican restaurant afterwards for a way-to-go-gang celebration, which since it's the 2nd year in a row, we can call this a growing tradition of ours. The men met up with Mel and I to light the candles outside for the illuminary drive. Even though the temps were 32 or below, there was no wind, a very light snow sprinkling and it was fun, fun, fun. Although, less volunteers to help meant we walked around hunched over more. The cocktails and company made it worthwhile.
Sunday, Rick and I were up again to get groceries to snack on in preparation for getting our home decked out Christmas style. My parents joined us and we decorated from top to bottom, outside in and now our home feels like it's fit to celebrate this wonderous time of year. Ya'all will have to do a drive by and see my huge wreath which fits perfect in the spot alloted for it. I love this time of year.





No comments:
Post a Comment