The only cue I have that it's January is the frigid cold that has been consistently taunting us each miserable day. I don't remember recent years being this cold. Of course, I can't remember what I had for dinner yesterday either.
Work-wise, it's busy. I don't know if it is because Obama has taken office and motivate people that change is truly on its way or if somehow this cold has frozen the notion in buyers and sellers mind that now is the reason to handle their real estate needs. Whatever the case may be, I'm happy but also worried. Part of my concern is all about M-E. It's January. First month of the first quarter. Right after the busiest and most stressful holiday of the year. In some of the coldest temperatures that I can remember. AND I can't keep up. January has always been project month catch up for me. Not in 2009. I'm not complaining, well, at least not totally. It's great to be this busy but in the back of my mind it makes my head spin and panic that my vegetable garden is going to be neglected again (2008 was not a good year for anything other than my peppers. This year I vowed to "Plant A Row" for Food Gatherers so I may be calling out for help).
The other concern I have is that my 2 additional job functions that were suppose to be "no big deal" and taken on to help clients ride out the wave have taken over....literally - time, effort, energy and more. Rentals are insane and Short Sales are increasing. These were options that were not even in my vocabulary 4 years ago and still rare for us agents to assist in even 2 years ago and now they have become my life. You might remember by lovely California seminar getting certified as a "Distressed Property Expert". This month I will have successfully rented potentially 4-5 properties.This week alone I went from 4 Short Sales on file to 9 total and 3 appts. scheduled for consultation. After a long challenge and much practice I have become better at compartmentalizing what is happening in the economy. I refuse to watch the news (Rick has my personal parameters of what he can relay - all else I don't need to know and Martin will of course tell me what I'm required to know real estate-wise) and only read the required work reading, not one page more. 2008 has broken my protective shell....my dad lost his job after the company he devoted 23 years to shipped their plant to Mexico and my brother was forced into foreclosure after his ex-wife screwed him (or not screwed him, however you look at it) and the bank wouldn't work with him until it was too late. Just recently I have had a great friend get a surprise phone call. I have been panicking personally on how I can change the world and decided it's one step at a time, one client's needs at a time and do the best job I can do everyday. I also have made a personal vow to continue growing my relationship with my family and make sure my friends know how much I love them and be "present" when I'm with them instead of getting sucked back into work when I'm away. I still plan on volunteering (don't worry Rach.) but I think instead of just planting flowers I will become more commitment to a cause to help others in similiar positions as what my peeps have gone through. Today I was copied on an email to my broker from a future client that shared her renewed hope after meeting with me so I must be on the right track.
SO -
One client, one day at a time and the best job I can possibly do.
Love my family and friends so they know it with no questions asked.
Motto - Doin' fine in 2009....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment