Monday, February 2, 2009

Vacation: Day 3 - Shop, Bake, Enjoy

Day 3 started with a lazy morning sleeping in and slouching around. Rick and I are always on the run so to wake up on our own (no bleeping alarm clocks) is a true vaction. We watched some tv and then instantly felt bored. We decided to do some quick shopping for a few key items then I decided to make a suprise for my dad.
As you already know, my dad has been unemployed for some time now. Unfortunately. He has taken a new approach to dealing with it. He continues to fill out applications, drop off his resume and search for a new job but he is also taking constant classes to get new skills to make himself more "marketable". Right now he has a class every Monday until June. He is learning a lot from the class and it's free. Which we are all very thankful. Thank you to the Church of the Nazarene for your participation. So halfway through his class they get a much needed snack break. I didn't realize that the class was so many hours in one night, almost like taking a college class and that they get a snack break. Hence, my surprise.

I have always loved following a recipe. I can't put together a decent dinner that often but baking is something I do enjoy when I have time and not pressured. So today was the day to break in my new cookbook. - Hello Cupcake! I have been collecting little candies to use as decorations and accents for several weeks now. It's been a challenge to keep Rick out of the goods but one episode of sugar overdose and it's been much easier.

I decided to follow a scrumptious recipe in the back of my cupcake book. Rick and I sampled the batter halfway through and pretty much drooled waiting for the baking timer to ding. We took one bite and literally spit the cupcakes out. They were horrible! I should have guessed by the how thick the batter was and their "before" appearance. I was absolutely befuddled on how I could have gone so wrong. So into the compost basket they went.
I started over making cupcakes from a brownie mix. I only got 9 out of it. Argh! So then sadly, my dad got lowfat cake batter which yielded enough to have a total of 20 with a few babies (one for my Lady Lisa as a surprise).

The baking process took nearly 2 hours in itself. Anxiously, I awaited their finish in order to start the best part, the decorating. I had decided to do a theme, of course. "Your next occupation". My cupcakes consisted of "a chef", "a cowboy" and "a police officer". Decorating took another 2 1/2 hours. Rick and I frantically rushed to get the surprise dropped off.

I had a nice discovery. I had purchased some powdered buttermilk recently after I notice several of my baking recipes called for it. I used it in my first recipe that was a flop. After actually reading the back of the canister, I discovered there was a conversion chart. Oppsie! I'll have to try that recipe again.

No comments: