Saturday, January 31, 2009

Vacation: Day 1 - Ski Trip

This trip could have gone very wrong. We were given a hotel room recommendation from one of Rick's co-worker - "The Lodge". Upon arrival we discovered there is no way, not even an ounce that we could have stayed there. The heating source was a space heater, pedestal sink located in the bedroom instead of the bathroom, full bed and no internet. Now I could have probably gotten beyond all of those things but the bathroom was the straw that broke the camel's back. Vinyl floor raised, warped and worn and the shower stall...yep, stall it did for us checking in. Moldy, rusty, caulk peeling off and disgusting.

Rick being the stand-up guy he is walked me out to the truck to save me the embarassment of returning the key and walked in to do it himself. The hotel owner stated that there was no other hotels that accepted dogs. Well, we drove down the strip and stopped at the first hotel. Right on the glass entry doors SORRY NO PETS. Rick went in anyways to see if she knew of anywhere that did allow a cute little chi-chi and walked out with a key and a discounted room rate (normally $79.99 and we got for $62. only $12. more than the dump...er....lodge). We got a lakeside view with a walkout room to a private patio. Rock it Rick!!

View from our hotel patio of frozen Houghton Lake

After sleeping in and eating a free breakfast (the lodge didn't have that either so technically we are even) we headed out for the Cross Country Ski headquarters to find the best groomed trails. We spent a few hours on the trails and had a great time. I really, really, really, love cc skiing even more on groomed trails with these great little tracks you fit your skiis in. It's almost like being on auto-pilot or like driving those cars on rails at Cedar Point. I still fell but only a few times. What I love most is going down hill. Since falling on my bike speedy down a hill I have been pretty much scared of any hills and always feel like I am out of control and don't enjoy the speed. So these little tracks made me love it. I can glide, glide, glide without losing control of my balance and not being terrified of the speed.
After skiing we went in to the lodge to warm up, had hot cocoa, played uno and ate lunch. After having a nice nap we finished the night with a great and amazingly inexpensive dinner at a local ma and pop restuarant and watching movies. Now that's a great vacation.

2 comments:

Lady Lisa said...

I'm glad you two are having such a good time. Now put away the laptop and get busy doing other things. ;-)

Birgles McGee said...

I heart you guys. Reading about your couple-y adventures makes me so hopeful that someday I will have a relationship with a sweet and loving guy who loves to spend time with me as much as Rick loves spending time with you.

I hear you on that lodge business. Scott and I stayed at a motel up north before our North Manitou trip. The bathroom and shower stall were a travesty, but pulling back the covers to stained (stained!) sheets was the last straw. Unfortunately, it was 1am and there was nowhere else to go. So we just slept in our sleeping bags.

Can't wait to hear about day 2!