My babies left the nest today!!
This moment is so bittersweet for me. I am so happy to see them grow and adventure out on their own but I'm also sad to see them leave at the same time. Sadly, I was not there to witness their brave attempts at first flight this year. If you have never witness this on your own, well you are missing out. I don't think I have cheered, wished, hoped or prayed harder than when I am rooting on a little bird to take that first step. I feel so many emotions all at the same time. Last year I was fortunate to catch one little baby taking flight for the first time. It was worth it to stop in my tracks and take the time to witness the event. (Thanks to my SweetPea for alerting me with her attack dog barking - you know baby birds are vicious right?).
Just Monday, one day earlier I had checked on my little ones and knew it had to be soon. While Rick was mowing the front yard, he noticed a bird in the distance flapping around on our front porch and was quick to blame the neighborhood feral cats. (It's true the first flight looks like something between public intoxication and a fatal injury with excess feathers added). After investigating, he realized it was a baby bird. He scooped up the little guy, put him back in the nest and waited. After baby calmed down, mama came back, sat on the nest and took off a few times. Sort of like a formal flight lesson. Then he was there to witness the little miracle. Happy flying little ones! I wish you well and don't forget to visit!
PS. I'll promise to have ferns again next year "just in case".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment