It's official!! Rick and I have been approved to host a foreign exchange student. We applied less than a month ago for the position through Youth For Understanding. That process was relatively easy, probably because Rick and I are "squeaky clean" as far as our criminal backgrounds go. Well, hell, I can't even cross the border to Canada telling a little white lie even. Breaking a rule is simply outside my limits, mostly (teehee, I did smoke a cigarette once in high school and hated every minute of it)(Oh gosh - sorry mom! I swear that's the worst of it). I must say too that I simply have the best friends and family a girl can have. Thank you for your references. I am sure you made me sound like a saint when I didn't deserve it.
Also, I want to take this time to say I appreciate all the votes of confidences, encouraging words, and even those of you that expressed your concerns about adding to my crazy schedule and generally worrying about me. Wow! I certainly appreciate every last comment, even the concerns, because it shows me that you care and take an active interest in my life. I don't think I realized how much others cared for me until now or worst yet, maybe I took that for granted. I really love you all. I actually had others pray for me and wish me well. Again, double wow! This makes my heart swell so much to think that others care for me on that level that I actually shed tears. I am so thankful and blessed to be at this stage in my life. I remember the days when I felt I had no one and they seem foreign to me now. I feel like I can conquer the world with the people I have with me. Watch out - I must just try. :)
This process so far has been both exciting, anxious and nerve-wrecking. I am excited to think I have a small chance to make an impact in someone else's life (of course the reason behind the madness). I'm anxious because, as always, the questions of "what if I fail" or "what if my fears of being a "parent" figure come true and I really do suck" can be overwhelming at times. The nerve-wrecking part coincides with the latter but also with some of your concerns that I did bite of more than I can chew. Yep! I thought about that too. A lot more especially recently. That being said, I think that 1) I am most productive and happy while helping others and also from being busy but 2) I need to feel like I am contributing to the world and moving it forward in the positive direction.
Thanks again to everyone, even those that will likely never read this blog (you know who you are so I won't point fingers) for all your love. Alexander arrives next Thursday, August 27th. I can't wait to share with him all the wonderful people Rick and I are blessed to have in our life. I am truly the luckiest girl alive.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
eep! You must have been pointing your finger at me! I had no idea you'd gone back to blogging! :)
Post a Comment