Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I'm a Mama....

I'm so excited!! My house finch family has decided to come back!! Last year Rick and I bought two huge ferns for our front porch from my favorite nursery Block's. Within a week, a mama house finch took up residency and created a nest. The first nest fledged 4 young. After her babies took off, she decided to move - to my other fern!! That brood yielded 5 young. I immediately purchased ferns this year in hopes of their return. It took a while for them to visit and I feared the feral cats in my neighborhood scared off yet another family. Fortunately it was more a test of my patience. I have 5 babies happily growing!!

What I love even more is the wonderful songs of the happy father as he boasts over his ever-growing family to the neighborhood.

1 comment:

Lady Lisa said...

awwww. Makes my heart smile. I feel like I should go buy some ferns now because I want babies too!!