Thursday, November 20, 2008

Really...Does Image Matter?

RICHARD CORY
Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
We people on the pavement looked at him:
He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
Clean favored, and imperially slim.
And he was always quietly arrayed,
And he was always human when he talked;
But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
"Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.
And he was rich—yes, richer than a king,
And admirably schooled in every grace:
In fine, we thought that he was everything,
To make us wish that we were in his place.
So on we worked, and waited for the light,
And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;
And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet through his head.

Edwin Arlington Robinson wrote this poem long before his time. Really, does image matter that much? Interesting ending, huh? Want to know what made me think of this poem...Wesley Snipes. I found out from the guy sitting next to me on my flight home yesterday about Wesley Snipes evading his taxes. Come on!! This makes me so irritated. You make millions, MILLIONS, per movie and you can't pay your taxes. (Also, how did this happen back in April and I didn't know. Apparently, there were things that I learned from Celebrities Uncensored). I'm glad a judge wasn't so star-crazed to actually convict a celebrity for a crime instead of just slapping their wrist. Keep in mind, this is how the IRS took down Al Capone too. I hope that we see the same thing happen to other celebrities that think their above the law AND those AIG guys too.

No comments: