So Rick is back!! Yeah!!
After many hours getting caught up on his trip details, I think what I found the most interesting is how our presidential election was viewed by people in other countries. Lisa - I would love to hear what Erwin and Erin thought too. It could be that it was constantly at the front of Rick's mind, especially since every conversation we had I had to somehow bring it up. As if 2 years of political commercials weren't enough already. He got the play-by-play-while-far-away -yep, pre-election, while electing/voting and post-election details to a "T". I actually called him long distance at 2:30am (my time) to share my excitement that obviously couldn't be contained.
Rick spent week one ~pre-election~ of his international trip in Germany, in several different location. Each location brought on unsolicited conversations on what he thought of the election, who did he want to be elected (apparently they don't know that this is poor manners) and voiced what they wanted to happen or who they would vote for should they be an American and had the right to do so. Pre-election there was a lot of negative feelings toward the Bush administration and, for lack of a better word - concern, of who the next elected president would be. Rick definitely felt the hostility from some opinioners and a few times had to change the subject to avoid faces getting any redder and any further uncomfortableness.
Post-election, Rick was in France. There was an overwhelming and unanimous sense of relief from the opinioners in his election conversations with them, again unsolicited. He struggled with how to describe how people felt about who we elected as a president. Calm, optimismic, hopeful....similiar words to what I felt when Obama was elected. I find this completely enlightening. I never, ever, even considered how MY vote affected someone in another country OR how it woul be viewed by others. I find this, I don't know the word~ breathtaking, enthralling, motivating? Amazing!
I thank every soul who has fought, is fighting or would fight for our country to give us this freedom. This Veterans Day, tomorrow, has newfound meaning to me. God Bless America - The Land of the Free and Home of the Brave!! Personal shout out to Rick for serving his time for our country and God Bless and protect Joe Osbourne (my brother's closest friend) during his time. Without you, we wouldn't be the great country we are today!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That was really well written. I feel a little prouder and more thankful to be American myself. Thank you Ricky! And I'll be sure to poll the Erwin's for you to find out what they thought. :-)
Post a Comment