Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Food and Sun.Well, someone has to do it...

I'm on a work trip...yep, stuck in a freezing cold conference room from 8am to 5pm (or later because there is always that one guy in class that "over-participates"). But hey it is in California so it can't be all that bad.

The plane rides here were uneventful, one area that you really don't want any action. Flight one to Minneapolis placed me next to a Army "Lifer" who has been serving our country for 24 years now. He was on his way home after a 10 day trip to prepare for a 1 year tour starting after the first of the year. His definition of the trip was to hand over the to-do list and figure the exchange of the job title. We immediately connected. We both were placed in the Exit aisle were I made jabs at him for being the required one to save everyone and he kidded with me that there were holes in the wing and how the sides of the plane were moving (I didn't quite find this as funny but he thought it was hilarious and definitely had some hearty chuckles on my account, one bringing a tear to his eye). What's interesting was his story. I shared Rick's story behind joining the service and how much of a positive impact it had on his life and mine indirectly (well, because he is the best husband ever of course). Then I asked what made him commit. His story touched me.

34th Infantry Division

His father struggled with his family to get to this country away from the terror he experienced as a child growing up in their native country where it was riddled with war and corruption. His father had expressed it upon him the importance of serving this country for everything it offered them and more as a "thank you". Dutifully and respectfully, the soldier joined thinking that if it meant that much to his father then he could make that commitment planning on serving an active term and then a term as a reservist. Then 24 years later, he has decided he can't give up what he is doing for his country. He is in the 34th Infantry Division. We could of continued talking forever but this was his 5th flight, having flown from 2 small "puddle jumping" charter civilian flights in Iraq to somewhere to Iceland to Virginia to Michigan and was his last leg before landing in his hometown. It's funny how life happens right before your eyes. I thanked him for what he is doing for this country and wished him a safe return when he heads back over. He said , "hey, I'm just doing my job". Somehow, I feel my "job" pales in comparison. I can say I am not brave enough to lay myself down or step in front of a bullet to save someone else or to fight for this country or what we stand for but I appreciate all those brave souls that do this. God bless America!!

The second flight was by far more aggravating. I could have scratched my corneas out with a jagged rusty nail and it probably would have been less painful. Both flights were packed, every seat filled and every overhead bin stuffed. Poor Martie-Mar didn't even get upgraded to first class. The first flight wasn't bad because we were in the Exit row, unfortunately, Flight Two I was shoved up against the window with all my carry-ons taking up my floor space and crowding my feet. Cramped and miserable for sure. In my row were 2 guys. Immediately after being seated, they noticed that they shared a common thread. Both of them were India descent. One was born and raised here and the other raised in India and came here for an education and never left. They debated the whole flight about which was better and how it impacted their lives. I couldn't listen beyond the first 10 mins. What could have been a very interesting and entertaining conversation to eavesdrop on became an ego debate since India raised guy was a Money Manager and American born Indian was a Physician and of course "who was better and made more money" was also part of the debate and frankly made them both sound like ignorant egotistical fools. However, they did debate over the military and the Draft. I wish Infantry Guy sat in my seat and filled them in on why this country is so great. All I did was asked if the guy in the middle seat to move over and if they could keep it down because not everyone was interested in hearing their conversation (which was primarily ineffective since apparently their debate meant if you talked louder than the other then you were right). Who flies without their IPod being charged...really...who? This was a valuable lesson to me on so many accounts.

So, today is Day ONE.

Already I have learned so much but realize I have so much more left to learn. I think one reason why this trip had me nervous is I would find out how much I could have screwed up but after today I realize I need to give myself some credit, I know more than I thought. (I know, I know...I hear Lisa and Rick saying "I told you so".) The class is packed full. Today was the scary day...how we got to this point, its comparison to the Savings & Loan crisis and Alex's perspective on how much longer we have before their are signs of the light at the end of the tunnel (not 3 years like we hoped for but more like 10-15 years GULP).

Tomorrow - how to implement. Martin and I will actually be adding an interesting category to our goals for next year. How many clients are we going to help to keep their home. Yep - an agent that doesn't sell, strange concept but really there are sellers that feel they have to sell because there is no other way for them to survive unless they get rid of their home, even if it means sacrificing their credit. Well, excitingly enough, we will learn how to assist in loan modifications. Some of those sellers giving up their dream homes and ruining their credit may be able to use this avenue to be success in keeping their home affordably. New concept, huh? Obviously I'm excited (which is probably evident by the time I'm blogging).


Dinner tonight was great, thankfully not too much real estate talk since I'm strung out on it. We went to Scott's. For my foodies out there, I had a great meal. I kept the alcohol to my usual cranberry vodka aka "ole' faithful". Only one though since I didn't bring my glasses and my eyes are killing me from the strain of reading small text, air conditioning and lack of sleep. I had a salad - Beet, tomato and goat cheese with a vinegarette. Delish! This was the best part of the night. Never does a salad overbid the entree but dessert too. Anyone who knows me should know that this means it's the best salad. EVER. My mouth is salivating right now thinking of it. Dinner was scallops (my newest addiction since Scallop and Shrimp quesadillas from Prickly Pear) and my favorite standby, mashed potatoes. Somehow the pots still pale in comparison to my mom and mother-in-law's pots and especially to my favorite carb dish - German Potato Salad. Of course, I cleaned my plate. Since the boys, Martin and Tony, were ordering sorbet I decided to get the Duet Chocolate. I liked it, don't get me wrong but it didn't hit "the spot". I actually left half of the white chocolate side on my plate. When has chocolate never hit the spot....after that damn beet salad...mmmm...sign me up.

Until tomorrow, I wish Rick well and happy dreams all.

1 comment:

Lady Lisa said...

such a lengthy post for such a busy girl! I hope you're sleeping too, and can't wait to hear more about everything when you're back. Woohoo for drinks & Twilight on Friday.